Wednesday, March 25, 2009

How to Shop at Henry's...

...or What I Learned Tonight

I love Wednesdays because they are double-ad days at Henry's Marketplace. Both the ad ending that day from the previous week and the new ad beginning that day for the coming week are valid. Which means big produce savings! I rarely buy anything but produce at Henry's (and stuff from the bins, vitamins, and occasionally specialty items). It's best for cheap produce. I've also found you've gotta use that produce pretty quickly, and refrigerate EVERYTHING, even the stuff that doesn't need it. Gives it a longer life.

I usually go right after work or sometime in the evening. Tonight I decided to do a late yoga class and, since the closest Henry's is near my gym, swung by on my way home, just before closing at 10 p.m. I was shocked!

They were out of almost everything on my list and there was slim pickins' with what was left. The two employees in the produce section were NO help at all (actually just complicating the process by packing up what was still out as I was going through it...hmm, not the most productive way to assist your customers; they were also stocking the wrong item under a sale sign for a different item, it was all very confusing). So I was kinda pissy when I went to check out.

Then I remembered --- rain checks! Henry's used to have an appalling system for rain checks. They happily distributed them for various sale items that had run out, including produce, but limited you to use that rain check within two weeks and with an item limit (say only 1 package of blackberries and so on).

Now the policy has changed! I was so happy to learn that I could take advantage of the THREE items that I couldn't find with the new rain check policy. Unlimited items purchased and NO expiration date! Color me happy!

Yes, I'm a bit of a nerd about stuff like this. But it totally made me feel better. So, since I'm not having zucchini, asparagus, or cucumber for dinner tomorrow now it's time to get creative with the sole, lonely grapefruit; two somewhat squishy avocados; and the small bunch of radishes I was able to find.

Moral of the story: Kinda worth it to hit Henry's late on Wednesdays for the double ads and to reap in the rain checks (think of saving them until that item isn't so cheap and you really need it; though I doubt I'll last that long!)...but you also run the risk of making a trip almost for no reason and dealing with super cranky employees who have no desire to help you. Take it and run with it!

4 comments:

  1. Love this! Here's another tip I discovered recently: If you live near a Fresh & Easy, go there right after work on Thursdays. A LOT of their food is marked 50% off, including yummy artisan breads, produce, meats, and their signature salad dressings (preservative-free). Granted, you only have a couple days to eat these after you buy them, but so what? Yesterday I got 4 orange-cranberry scones for $1.50, a huge loaf of artisan jalepeno bread for $1.00, a bottle of fresh cilantro salad dressing for $1 and a pint of not-from-concentrate OJ for $1 :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh, that's good! I'm going to have to look up where the closest one is to me. You can always freeze some of that stuff, too, to make it last longer (and refrigerate the bread/baked goods). That salad dressing sounds so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went to Fresh and Easy last night and I saw the 50% off items, they had a lot of them and it was decent products.
    I actually had the cilantro dressing last night and it was soooo yummy! The Gelato, not so much :(

    J- My mom told me that she was at the Henry’s in Encinitas last week and got a rain check and it had a limit , could only be used at that store, and an expiration date. I told her about your experience and she thought that maybe it depends on the particular store? Hmmm that seems silly on their end..but your store seems to be the best one if they are giving out that type of rain check. COOL!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, interesting. I didn't even ask either, the checker actually made a point to tell me about the new policy. I guess Poway is now cooler than Enc - something I never thought I'd say! ;)

    ReplyDelete