Friday, March 13, 2009

Chicken Couscous

So we are trying to be healthy lately, as always, and we've been cooking some yummy meals. My main motivation is knowing that I have to wear my wedding dress again soon and I want to look just as good in it the second time around! (Stay tuned for more about this in a couple of weeks!)

Most of you know I'm a huge library nerd. I love to check out cookbooks and try various recipes. I found this one in a South Beach Diet cookbook, and it's SO yummy! I added grape tomatoes to it just before serving, which added some color and an extra flavor. I think you could easily add a lot of veggies to it. It's also super easy and quick!

Chicken Couscous

Serves: 4 (we halved the amount of chicken to make it just for the two of us)

1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onions, diced
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup whole-wheat couscous
1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
Salt
Pepper

Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook chicken until no longer pink inside and lightly browned, about 6 minutes. Remove from pan with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.

Reduce heat to medium and add onion, cumin, and cinnamon to pan; cook until onions softened and lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Add broth and bring to simmer. Stir in couscous, chickpeas, and good pinch of salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook 1 minute. Return chicken to saucepan, combine with couscous, season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve.

2 comments:

  1. Okay - YUM!! This is a take on a Moroccan recipe that I use (my mom is Moroccan). I've made this before in a tagine, and it is to DIE for. Other ingredients to play around with - add olives, green onion and lemons to the chicken while cooking. Or dates, raisins or prunes if you want to make it sweet. I'm getting hungry just typing this... =) ~ Nina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm I am so trying it with olives and lemon! And separately with golden raisins. Sounds soooo good! I love Moroccan food, too. Thanks, Nina!

    ReplyDelete