Saturday, May 2, 2009

My Black Thumb

I've been waiting all year for this time to come. It's been months in the making and it's finally here! We moved into our home almost two years ago and since that time I've been wanting to plant an herb garden on our patio. We moved too late for planting season and last year I was too crazy busy with finding/starting a new job, sadly leaving my old job, and doing something else big...oh, that's right, planning my wedding. So life was too busy for me to deal with getting dirt under my nails.

But not this year! This year my awesome husband took matters into his own hands, determined we were getting our herbs this season. They are everywhere right now and we'd been price checking at every store we went to (we finally decided Wal-Mart and Home Depot had the best deals and selection). He really took the lead on this one, and was the enforcer in our little gardening experiment.


Now I have to go off on a tangent for a minute and say that we are a great match for each other. I'm not gonna be modest here 'cause it's pointless. We really work well together. Case in point: I like to vacuum, he likes to mop. I like to bake, he loves to cook. I like to play on my computer, and he can fix it for me I inevitably break it. He's handy with stuff like tools and I ... well, I like to alphabetize stuff. I do the laundry ... and he leaves it in a pile on the floor. Hmmm.

Anyway! We balance well in most areas. But when it comes to gardening, we've both got the blackest thumbs you ever did see (I could make a comment about my mother here, and believe me, I've thought of several good ones, but I think she reads this blog and I value my life too much). I always traded chores with my brother growing up so I wouldn't have to do any of the outdoorsy stuff (like weeding, raking leaves, anything with dirt). I'm not that much of a girly girl but I HATE having dirt under my nails. Sadly, my husband is the same if not worse. So we have a quandary.

But despite the odds against us we forged ahead!! We bought a bag of soil, 8 little pots of herbs, a watering can, gardening gloves, and a couple planters. And, ta-da! Herbs. I really hope they don't die. We're six days out and so far they are thriving, or at least still looking green.

By the way, I went to Vons this morning and SCORE! They have the cheapest herbs around! $1.99 each, and they had a better selection than anywhere else we looked. Go figure. So if my starter herbs make it through the next couple weeks, I may be adding another row to our garden. Oh, we also planted some garlic but nothing has sprouted yet so we can't tell if we've killed it, drowned it, dried it out, or if something down there might actually be growing.

1 comment:

  1. YOU my dear are clearly the smartest, funniest person I know. Thank you for pointing that out again :) by this awesome post.

    ReplyDelete